16/06/2014

Also week 1 - Stonehenge

Stonehenge is only a stone's thow away from Longleat Center Parcs, and seeing as it is one of the places I have always wanted to visit, we did on our way to London. It is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by rolling countryside, without the Irish green but still beautiful. I was delighted to see some poppies.

We managed to lose Ana at the Stonehenge visitors centre, or rather she lost us, as when we found her it was all my fault for walking away. However it took 20 minutes and the entire security crew to find here, they were amazing, thank you if you ever read this. She was at the toilet and wandered off to the car park.
The visitors centre has a very interesting exhibition, and also some old huts which you can go in to and do some hands-on activities. The girls got busy grinding wheat with a stone, and Siobhan tried her hand at making rope from wet reeds. I was quite interested to see that Siobhan felt totally at home here and was in awe of everything, whereas Ana and Grainne were both quite adamant that they did not like it. I wonder does Siobhan have roots there somewhere, just like I felt so drawn to the Tara brooch? Sorry ramblings...


Grinding wheat


 
 
We got to Stonehenge by means of a bus and in all honesty I found it a complete let down. There was no mystic feel about it at all, you had to keep a good 50 metres away from the inner stones, and I wondered, along with Ana, what all the hype is about. Ana set off over the grass towards the inner circle and was quickly called back, so she got even more irate. Hmmm. Not good energy there at all. Still, I'm glad we saw it and that at least Siobhan felt the vibe.
 


Ocelot photobombs Stonehenge





1 comment:

  1. I want to some day visit Stonehenge too, but have avoided it up until now because I know I will be disappointed if you know what I mean!!!

    ReplyDelete